Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Sunday Snag – Sherbet Carousel

1950s Sherbet Day Dress #1950s #vintage #fashion


A very cheery Sunday to you! I'm feeling rather chipper and who could blame me? How can you wear what I've deemed a "carnival" dress and not have a pep in your step?

A couple of weeks ago (or Snags ago, in blog reckoning), I had said that during an outing with my neighbor friend, we stopped at Revolver Consignment Boutique in Raleigh. It was the best part of our outing too! I had never been there and my friend said she loved it and we had to go. Happy to help! I mean, what are friends for other than enabling... Well, I'm VERY happy that I went because I found this adorably fun dress! I also got to meet the delightful owner and her very cute doggie. We all chatted, and as you can't help but notice someone dressed in vintage (see what I was wearing here), she very kindly directed me to their small rack of vintage clothing. Saved me a lot of time cause I bee-lined it there immediately and grabbed two dresses to try on! The ladies were just lovely there and chatted with me and my friend the whole time. The first dress was a gorgeous teal 50s/60s piece, but the neckline was too high for me. My tiny head typically doesn't do the crew neck well. Then I tried on this beauty you see in these photos! It also has a crew neck, but because there is so much detailing on the top, it breaks up the lines and doesn't look weird with my very. tiny. head. (seriously, I'm like a gnome on top, people)

Vintage Day Time Outfit on ChatterBlossom #vintage #1950s #fashion #dress

Anyhoozles, the dress. Fun right?! It looks to be a 1950s day dress in a lightweight cotton plaid. The colors are what I would describe as sherbet? Kind of like a coral pink, mint green, and yellow concoction. I really can't help myself with these pieces. I'm 30 years old and they are quite "young" looking, but no matter. I wear them because I like them and they make me feel bubbly and twirly. Did you see the sheering (is that called sheering?) on the top above the bustline?! It creates a circus bunting like effect and is topped by little stone button details and a pretty peter pan collar.

This dress needed A LOT of work for me to wear it. Not alterations per se, but repair. It was slightly too small for me and apparently for whoever owned it previously because all the button holes on the back (did you see the stone buttons down the back! So cute!) were torn from being stretched. Some of the buttons had been moved to accommodate that too. So the work I did on this dress was to "patch" sew all the buttons and button holes so that they didn't rip. While I was at it, I went ahead and moved all the buttons over to give me some breathing room (especially at the neck as I sometimes feel choked by collars). I also repaired some of the sheering or pleating at the top and a few seams that were separating. It all worked out okay though! I won't be wearing this dress dancing as I don't think the buttons could handle it.

1950s Outfit Accessory Detail #vintage #fashion

1950s Dress Detail #vintage #fashion #1950s #dressAs for the accessories, once again the original belt was missing. I don't particularly love this belt with it (I made it for the outfit seen here), but I didn't have an alternative at the time, so whateves. At least it has a little bit of pink in it and some alternating pattern-work like the dress. I think maybe in the future a white belt or ribbon? Let me know if you can think of something. My shoes are just flats for walking as we were at the arboretum in these photos.

My little ring "Zephyr" got to come with me for this outing! I thought she added a cute and playful touch to the dress and mirrored some of the pattern at the top. Also, my hair flower, "Spring Ginger" was added to bring some color to the top and add volume to my head/hair. Did you see her button center? Perfect mix of sherbet colors to play off the pastel plaid! Plus, I kind of love the way the coral is at odds with my pink lipstick. Makes for an interesting mix of pink/orange that I liked.

1950s Walk in the Park #vintage #fashion #retro

Outfit Details
Dress: 1950s day dress from Revolver Consignment Boutique
Belt: Made by me from modern piece/vintage buckle
Hair Flower: "Spring Ginger" from my shop ChatterBlossom
Shoes: Express
Ring: "Zephyr" from my shop ChatterBlossom

1950s Walk in the Park Outfit #vintage #fashion #1950s #dress


Last Week's Sunday Snag:


Follow on Bloglovin

35 comments:

  1. I like the flower in the hair, and your lipstick color is very flattering on you. I'm glad you took the time to fix the dress as it needed, so you could bring life back to it. :)

    XOXO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful dress and wonderful style. I wish I could wear something like that, too.

    Arra
    Style Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally could! Hard part is just finding it. ;-)

      Delete
  3. This is a gorgeous dress, I really like the mix of colours and the bodice is constructed really nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous. Love this dress. The shape is amazing and the colours suit you perfectly. Amazing photos too!
    Charlotte
    www.winstonandwillow.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful dress, love the print and your hair looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful find, you look so beautiful! I love the dress <3


    New post:http://rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.blogspot.in/2013/08/the-wait-is-overfever-london-aw-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute! And good for you for making all the changes to make it wearable. You rescued it! And I think that any color from the dress in a ribbon would be darling as a belt! :) happy end of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the perfect dress! I love that you always have this vision and can just picture a beautiful creation. Oh, and (ha!) my fave coffee shop in Vancouver...Revolver!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! Wish I could visit with you in said coffee shop!!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful dress! The design is so interesting. Repairing it was worth the effort: the dress is really exceptional.

    And, I'm eager to note, your seamed stockings are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look gorgeous!!! Love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic dress! I love all of the unique details and the colors are just amazing!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has got to me favourite of all your Sunday Snags – did I say that last week and the week before? Whatever! They are probably all my favourites! Beeaaauuuutttttiiiiiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Well if it is a favorite today, that is all that matters! Thank you!

      Delete
  13. This is a lovely dress, it suits you well :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful dress! The colors are fantastic, and I love all the bust detailing! Lovely on you.

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pastel and gingham - just too pretty! Another gorgeous outfit!

    Kate x
    Kate at Home

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colours of this dress are such a joyful delight to behold. Fresh, fun, lighthearted and just completely beautiful (much like you in it). What an awesome find!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jamie! You are truly a beuty! I like how the dress is on you, the pattern is nice and just love the ring, looking too classy!:) Kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful look!!! nice photos!
    Have a good week!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. WHat an interesting detail around the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the details on that bodice are amazing!

    Marie @
    Lemondrop ViNtAge

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1st. That dress would make ME smile if I was sporting it and second, those shoes? to die for! Love them!

    Also, don't know if you get the alerts via email from replies but I totally jaw dropped when I read your comment and replied! I loooooooove it! Totally made me smile. Where did you grow up? I love the web, lol. Makes the big world that much smaller.

    www.jaimelovesstuff.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied to your message. So funny right?! Small world getting smaller!

      Delete
  22. I love this look! You look like a model for ModCloth! :)

    Love,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is perfection!!! can't say anything more! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  24. That dress! So cute...love the colors, and love the cut on you. And your hair looks fabulous :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is a truly gorgeous dress!! I think it was definitely worth the extra work you put into it, and I love the way you styled your hair, too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You do vintage so well! That dress is seriously gorgeous, but I don't know if I would have seen the potential. You have great taste!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brilliant!

    Thank you for linking up with Style Sessions!

    Lauren xx
    www.stylelixir.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you lovelies!! You always brighten my day with your generous comments and I'm so glad you shared this with me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh what a gorgeous dress! i love the pattern and the shape of it. it looks so beautiful on you.

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete